32" High x 24" Wide Poster
In 1841, Congress created the Lake Survey within the U.S. Army Topographical Engineers, which later became part of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. The Survey, based in Detroit, was charged with conducting a hydrographical survey of the Northern and Northwestern Lakes.
This 1873 navigational map of the western half of Lake Superior extends from the western shore to Isle Royale.
The map includes longitude & latitude lines, rivers on the U.S. and Canadian shorelines and the Apostle Islands.
To view this map online, please visit:
The original map can be viewed at the American Geographical Society Library, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Special thanks to the AGS Library for reproduction permission.